Monday, March 23, 2009

Health(y) Nuggets


I made something similar to this from a recipe in Deceptively Delicious (http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/). I used a broccoli puree, it was good, but my kids were quick to point out chicken nuggets aren't green inside. The DD recipe also has you fry the chicken. So this afternoon I had a craving for nuggets and wanted a healthier version. I knew the DD recipe was out. So I just tweaked it, the biggest differences are that I used a white vegetable to match the chicken and baked instead of fried.


1 pound of Skinless Chicken (tenders, thighs, breasts)
1/2C. - 1 C. Milk
1/2 C. Panko
1/2 C. Milled Flax Seed
3/4 of a head of Cauliflower
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika






Cut up and steam the cauliflower until done. While the cauliflower steams cut the chicken into bite size pieces. I used tenders because they were on sale. I cut each tender into quarters. I put the chicken in a bowl with just enough milk to soak in. Put chicken into the fridge.


Puree the cauliflower. It's super easy, don't let this part of the recipe deter you. Just drop the cauliflower into a food processor and go till it's nice and smooth, if you need to, add just a tiny bit of water about 1/2 t. at a time. If you don't have a food processor and Bullet Blender, (http://www.buythebullet.com/) or something similar works just fine. Put the cauliflower into a bowl.



In a separate bowl mix the panko, flax seed, and all the spices to taste. Take your chicken out of the fridge. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Coat the chicken in the cauliflower, then coat with the panko/flax seed mix. Place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes, turn over the chicken and bake another 8-10 minutes. Baking time changes based on the thickness of the chicken pieces.

I served my nuggets with a healthified BBQ sauce. Start with a puree of any green vegetable puree (broccoli, peas, beans) and add BBQ sauce a little at a time until the vegetable taste is masked. I used peas.

With a side of home canned pears and milk to drink we had a fabulous dinner!

No comments: