Monday, June 15, 2009

Super Easy Tomato Sauce

This tomato sauce is so easy and quick, but it tastes like it would difficult and time consuming. You will impress just about anyone with this super fast and fresh sauce. Not to mention, everyone knows I'm working really hard to lose weight. Part of that is making better food choices. This is about 40 calories for a 1/2 C. serving. No joke. Compare that to Prego at about 100, or Ragu at about 80 calories!! Then you also get to brag about making the sauce!

Roasted Tomato Sauce
3 pounds roma tomatoes, quarter lengthwise
1 large sweet onion, halved then sliced
1 T. balsamic vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Arrange the racks so that they are evenly spaced inside the oven. Spray 2 nonstick baking pans with nonstick spray.

Mix the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl or dish.

Arrange tomatoes and onions on a single layer on the pans. Spread vinegar mix across the tomatoes. I used a basting brush. Then give a quick spray of the nonstick spray across the tomatoes and onion.

Roast for about 50-55 minutes, switching the pans halfway through roasting time. You know it's done when the onions are brown and it smells too good to be true.

Put the tomatoes and onion in a food processor, (I used a bullet blender) or blender and pulse until the mixture is your desired consistency. I like it chunky for pasta, and smooth for pizza or dipping.



BTW... Two days after I made this sauce I couldn't quit thinking about how good the vinegar and garlic smelled. So I tripled everything in the vinegar mixture, except the salt and pepper and used it as sauce for chicken on the bbq. It was so yummy. I paired it with mashed sweet potatoes and steamed asparagus.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Last night I made the garlic vinegar marinade for some chicken that my dear sweet hubby then bbq'd. My SIL is here visiting, her 3 year old and she both loooooved it! It is so yummy.