Monday, September 21, 2009

Guilt Free Mac and Cheese

Have you looked the the nutritional label on the Kraft Mac and Cheese box? It makes me embarrassed to say that I love Mac and Cheese. I could eat it 5 days a week and be happy. My body on the other hand would be significantly less happy. Weighing in at 410 Calories, and 561mg of Sodium it's not the healthiest choice.

I got this recipe from a recipe exchange.

Baked Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
(I don't always bake it)

12oz. Uncooked pasta (elbow, all the way!)
10 oz. Frozen broccoli thawed, or fresh chopped (I like fresh)
1/4 C. Bread crumbs (only if you're baking it)
2 1/2 C. Skim Milk
1/3 C. Flour (if you use whole wheat, use less)
1/2 C. Diced onion
1 C. Low fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Tillamook makes the best)
1 t. Dijon mustard
2 T. Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 t. Salt (I use less, sssh don't tell my hubby)

Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 2 qt baking dish with Pam.

Cook pasta per package directions, add the broccoli about 2-3 minutes before pasta is done.

While the pasta cooks, whisk together milk and flour over medium heat. Add the onion and bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Reduce the heat to a low simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat. Whisk in cheddar, dijon, parmesan, and salt.

Pour over cooked pasta and broccoli. Toss to mix and coat.

Put in baking dish, sprinkle top with crumbs and bake until bubbly at edges about 20-25 min.


**This has been my experience, baking dries it out. If you prefer your mac and cheese more dry, bake it. If you like it more creamy, don't bake, plus you save a few calories by not adding the bread crumbs!

No comments: